Do you love the idea of ditching your glasses or contacts because you don’t need to wear vision correction lenses? Then LASIK eye surgery might be a great treatment for you! This surgery is a safe and effective way to improve nearsightedness, astigmatism, and moderate amounts of farsightedness.
But, LASIK vision correction isn’t the right treatment for every patient. The best thing that you can do is talk to an experienced eye doctor to learn more about the criteria that need to be met:
- General Health: You should be in good health overall. Patients with uncontrolled diabetes or an autoimmune disease might not be good candidates. Also, talk to your doctor if you are taking any medications or if you have any medical conditions that impact your immune response.
- Age: Candidates for LASIK need to be over the age of 18.
- Vision Stability: If your vision is still changing, then you need to wait to have the surgery. Vision should be stable for at least a year before the surgery is done.
- Pregnancy: It has been found that pregnancy hormones can change the stability of your vision. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should wait for at least three months after you have finished nursing.
- Eye Conditions: Certain eye conditions can cause complications for LASIK eye surgery. People with severe dry eyes shouldn’t have the surgery. Other diseases that might negatively impact the results include optic nerve diseases, corneal disease, cataracts, glaucoma, and keratoconus.
- Injury to the Eye: Have you recently experienced injury to your eye? If the eye is healing or there is an infection, then you need to wait until the eye is better.
- Contact Lenses: If you are currently wearing contact lenses, then you will need to discontinue use for some time before the surgery. Discontinuing contacts will ensure the stability of your cornea. Your eye doctor can provide details based on your individual situation.
- Corneal Thickness: Patients with thin corneas might not be good candidates for LASIK.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of LASIK vision correction? You can call our Temecula office at (951) 302-1331 or our Murrieta office at (951) 600-9226.